Mayor Sridharan welcomed over 360 Mayors from across the world – from Quito to Oslo, Honiara to Tshwane – along with regional leaders and partners this morning. Why are we here? he asked – Local and Regional governments are here in Bonn to:
· Support, cooperate, and engage in the delivery of the Paris Agreement from the first step onwards
· To strengthen alliances and forge new coalitions
· To act and collaborate on climate action with civil societies and business
· To invite all stakeholders to join the #Uniting4Climate movement
· To demonstrate the power and potential of local governments by putting forward local commitments and contributions to achieve a 1.5 degree world
“We can go further and faster together’’ he emphasized, through multi-level cooperation and a grand coalition that transcends all boundaries.