Since the first Conference of the Parties (COP1) in 1995, the Local Governments and Municipal Authorities (LGMA) constituency has been recognized by and actively engaged with the United Nations Framework convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Through the LGMA constituency, local and regional governments share their views on various negotiation topics. They provide written or oral interventions, nominate representatives to technical workshops, participate at the UNFCCC negotiation meetings as observers, engage in the consultations of the Presidencies and convene special events at the official meetings.
Since the Paris Agreement was adopted at COP21, recognizing, for the first time, the critical role of local and regional governments in global climate action, ICLEI has been working to promote multilevel governance and coordinated climate action to keep global warming to 1.5-degrees Celsius.
What is the COP?
The Conference of Parties (COP), held for two weeks, is the annual meeting of the national governments as the highest level decision making body by Ministers to monitor and enhance progress on the implementation of the UNFCCC. The UNFCCC Secretariat, seated in Bonn, Germany, provides technical support to Parties on implementation.
Each year, one national government is elected by Parties as the President of the COP to provide political guidance in the work of the Secretariat and Parties. The six regional groups under the United Nations rotate in proposing the COP Presidency and the COP usually takes place at the country of the COP Presidency.
A COP President conducts informal consultations and meetings of heads of delegations all-year round, focusing on key negotiation issues. To ensure continuity, COP presidencies of two consecutive years work hand-in-hand. The role of COP President usually is assumed by either the Minister of Environment or Foreign Affairs, depending on the decision of the hosting Party, and it sometimes can be at the level of Heads of State. As of 2015, the COP President also appoints high level climate champions to bridge the negotiations process and the climate action by all stakeholders.
The LGMA Constituency is one of the three groups that have been engaging in the UNFCCC process since COP1 in 1995. Access our collection of COP resources and learn more about what the LGMA Constituency has accomplished over the years.
Learn more about the Talanoa Dialogue and how cities and regions are contributing through multilevel climate discussions.
Talanoa is a traditional approach used in Fiji and the Pacific to engage in an inclusive, participatory and transparent dialogue (for more information, see decision 1/CP.23, annex II).
At COP21, a decision was made to convene a Facilitative Dialogue among Parties in 2018 to take stock of the collective efforts of Parties on the goals of the Paris Agreement, and to inform the preparation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). Building on this mandate, it was decided to have this dialogue be known as the Talanoa Dialogue, launching it to start from January 2018 to culminate at COP24.
More information can be found in the following resources:
- Talanoa and beyond: Raising ambition with Cities and Regions, joint policy briefing by ICLEI, GIZ and UN-Habitat
- Urbanet article: Fostering Multilevel Governance: The Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues
- How ICLEI supports integrated Monitoring, Reporting and Verifying (MRV)
- Boosting subnational climate action through new climate governance: 2017 carbonn Climate Registry report
- Enabling subnational climate action through multilevel governance: a policy brief by ICLEI, GIZ and UN-Habitat
- Sustainable urbanization in the Paris Agreement: Comparative review of nationally determined contributions for urban content, by UN-Habitat (special partner to the Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues)
- Call for Vertical Integration of Local Authorities, by Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (special partner to the Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues)
- ICLEI’s GreenClimateCities (GCC) program
- carbonn Climate Registry (cCR)
- City Climate Planner Certificate Program
- Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues reporting guide
- The ICLEI Montreal Commitment and Strategic Vision 2018-2024
UNFCCC landing pages on inputs to the Talanoa Dialogue
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
- Question 1 – Where are we?
- Question 2 – Where do we want to go?
- Question 3 – How do we get there?
ICLEI submission on behalf of the Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues
Joint ICLEI-GIZ-UN Habitat
Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy
Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction
Association Climate Chance
Future Ocean Alliance
Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport (SLoCaT) and Paris Process on Mobility and Climate (PPMC)
We Are Still In
US Climate Alliance
State of California
FMDV for CCFLA Secretariat
International Association of Public Transport (UITP)
Sustainable Energy Policy Division, Environment Department, Nagano Prefectural Government
The Climate Group/Under2 Coalition
ICLEI and partners are hosting a webinar series to share updates and ensure coordination among the Local Governments and Municipal Authorities Constituency (LGMA) members and partners on the organization of Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues.
These webinars will take place every third Wednesday of the month.
First ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
Second ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
Third ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
- at 10am CEST: see live recording here
Fourth ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
- at 10am CET
- at 4pm CET: see live recording here
Fifth ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
Sixth ICLEI webinar on Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues. See full powerpoint here.
- CityTalk post: The Talanoa route to new climate governance
- CityTalk post: When science meets policy and practice: Top 3 ways to achieve Paris Goals
- CitiesIPCC Conference video: Announcing the first 20+ confirmed Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues
- UNFCCC media coverage on the Cities and Regions Talanoa Dialogues launched at the 9th World Urban Forum in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
In this section…
During COP 23, LMGA interventions were delivered by:
- Mayor of Bonn Ashok-Alexander Sridharan
- ICLEI Senior Climate Advocacy Officer Jisun Hwang
- LGMA Constituency Focal Point Yunus Arikan
The links to UNFCCC webcasts and interventions can be found below.
- 6 November COP 23 Opening Ceremony
- 6 November COP 23/CMP 13/CMA 1.2 plenaries
- 6 November – Joint SBSTA/SBI plenaries
- 7 November APA resumption plenary
- 7 November COP 23 and CMP 13 plenaries
- 11 November COP/CMP/CMA/SBSTA/SBI/APA stocktaking plenary
- 14 November SBSTA/SBI closing plenary
- 16 November – High Level Segment of COP 23/CMP 13/CMA 1.2
- 17 November COP 23 and CMA 1.2 plenaries
- 18 November APA suspension plenary
- 18 November COP/CMP/CMA closing and suspension plenaries
Marrakech Partnership Webcasts
- UNFCCC information on the MPGCA
- Programme of GCA events during COP 23 – Outline
- 2017 Yearbook
- 2017 Summary foe Policy Makers
- Outcomes of Human Settlements Thematic Day
- Outcomes of High Level Dialogue on SDG11
- Human Settlements (video)
- Transport (video)
- SDG11 and Climate Action (video)
- 13 November Monday – GCA Press Conference on SDG11 with Mayor of Bonn (video)
- 13 November Monday – GCA High Level Segment Opening with Governor Brown and Mayor of Seoul (video)
- 15 November – Marrakech partners Bula Zone High Level Closing with Mayor of Bonn and First Premier of Scotland (video)
COP 23 Webinars
- 1st Webinar: Monday, 24 April 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
- 2nd Webinar: Thursday, 22 June 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
- 3rd Webinar: Tuesday, 29 August 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
- 4th Webinar: Friday, 6 October 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
- 5th Webinar: Thursday, 26 October 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
- 6th Webinar – Outcomes: Thursday, 7 December 2017, 10:00 and 16:00 CEST
UNFCCC Press Conferences Webcasts
- 11 November Saturday – Press Conference on Human Settlements with Mayor of Pittsburgh
- 12 November Sunday – Press Conference of Leaders Summit and Global Covenant
- 12 November Sunday – Press Conference C40
- 13 November – Press Conference UNFCCC Financial Times – Future of Mobility with Deputy Mayor of Oslo
- 13 November – UNFCCC press Conference with US Governors
- UNFCCC information on the press
Climate Action Studio interviews